Though it might seem relatively mundane, cork is actually quite an interesting material. It is basically indestructible, totally buoyant, and contains both elastic and fire retardant properties – and all of that comes from the bark of a tree. Eighty percent of the world’s supply of cork comes from Portugal and Spain, where these trees can grow and flourish in the favorable climates. Cork’s features make it the ultimate material for bottle stoppers, and wine corks make up about 60% of the world’s cork production.
So what else can you do with a cork stopper that doesn’t involved sealing a bottle of wine? Wine lovers often find themselves faced with dilemma, and usually end up throwing out the cork. However, that’s not the best use of your old corks. In fact, you can use them to get crafty. Below, we’ve compiled 20 awesome DIY projects that involve the use of your old wine corks – I guess that means you better pop open the wine and start drinking.
1. A wine cork backsplash behind your home bar.
2. Easy Wine Cork Pendants
3. Wine Cork USB Flash Disk
4. Frame an important cork from bottle you drank on a special occasion.
5. Line your countertops with these cute cork balls.
6. Hollow out a cork to create a tiny plantar – then add a magnet for maximum cuteness.
7. Never lose your keys again with these wine cork keychains. These are great for boat keys because they float!
8. Fashion a lovely birdhouse out of a bunch of old corks.
9. Add corks to the handles of your cheese and canape knives.
10. Mark your herbs with painted corks on skewers.
11. Cork Lamp Chandelier Animating Light and Shadow Beautifully
12. Glue together a fun bar sign, made entirely of cork.
13. Wine Cork Topped Coffee Table
14. Use corks to make coasters for your wine – then use the new corks from that wine to make new coasters.
15. Put a spout through a cork to create a precision pourer for your liquor bottles.
16. Protect the wall around your dartboard by covering it with cork.
17. Wine Cork Candle Holders
18. Frame a fun chalkboard for your home bar or office.
19. Glue together a mat for your hot teapot.
20. DIY Wine Cork Pendant
21. Cork State Wall Art
22. Easy Wine Cork Crafts
23. DIY Ombre Cork Heart
24. DIY Wine Cork Tray
25. DIY Wine Cork Placemat
26. Lolly Stick Bi-Planes
27. DIY Wine Cork Lampshade
28. Wine Cork Artwork
29. Giraffe Cork Sculpture
30. Cork Bath Mat
31. Vintage Looking Stairs Using Cork
32. Cork Jewelry Organizer
33. Heart Shaped Decorative Installations