Really awesome shortbread is made with just 3 simple ingredients. These buttery shortbread cookies are brimming with delicious melt-in-your-mouth flavors. Dress them up with sprinkles, drizzles, or keep them pure and simple. Absolutely addictive.
- 2 cups butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4½ cups all purpose flour, divided
- Optional: Your favorite sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and brown sugar. Using paddle attachment, mix until fluffy and light. Add 3½ cups of the flour and mix until combined.
- On a large board, sprinkle ½ cup flour. Knead dough by hand for 5 minutes, adding as much of the remaining ½ cup flour as needed to make a soft dough. The dough should end up soft and pliable, similar to play-dough, not sticky. Work in desired amount of sprinkles, if using. (You may not end up using all the flour, depending on how your dough feels.)
- Form a ball, wrap tightly, and chill for about 30 minutes. Roll dough out to about ½ inch thickness. Either cut into 3×1 rectangular strips, triangles, or use cookie cutter for shapes. Place each cookie 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Poke cookies with fork to design if not using sprinkles.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. If your shapes are smaller, bake less time. Bake longer for bigger shapes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.