For the Stir-Fry
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (skinless boneless breast substitution ok)
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot
- cooking oil
- hot steamed rice
For the Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon rice wine or 1 teaspoon sake
- Note: This recipe calls for boneless thigh meat, which is preferred, but I tried using breast meat and the result was fine also.
- Mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut chicken into a small dice, about 1/4-inch.
- Heat 1-2 cups peanut or other cooking oil in your wok.
- Place cornstarch in a small bowl and begin to dust chicken pieces, shaking off excess.
- Fry in hot oil in small batches until crispy and golden, about 2-3 minutes; drain.
- Remove oil from wok and discard.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok and stir-fry onion about 1 minute; add peas and carrots and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add sauce mixture to wok along with chicken pieces and stir to coat everything evenly.
- Serve at once with hot steamed rice.