Um….excuse me while I have a moment with this grilled cheese.
This. Grilled. Cheese. Is. The. Best. Thing. Ever.
Yes, I have been known to say that a lot about many different things…but fo reals. THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER.
I died when I ate it. I died and went to crispy, buttery, cheesy, flavor heaven. And I wanted to stay there forever. You know what I would wish for if I had one wish? I would wish that I could eat this exact grilled cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day and it actually be super good for me. Like the equivalent of a spinach salad. Or a protein shake.
Wouldn’t that be the best thing ever???!!?
You don’t have to answer. I already know your answer. It’s yes.
Just everything about this sandwich is so wonderful. So…why the title “Fancy Schmancy?” Because it is fanc-aayyyy. Here’s why:
- The bread. It’s sliced sourdough bread from the bakery section. Don’t select a bread from the aisle of your grocery store where all the bagged loaves of sandwich bread are. Don’t do that. Not for this. Buy one of the pre-sliced, nicer breads from the bakery section of your grocery store. I used sourdough and it was wonderful.
- The butter. You melt some butter in a sauce pan with a crushed clove of garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a pinch of dried thyme while you assemble your sandwich. Then you brush this butter on the bread before cooking the sandwich. It adds sooooooo much FLAVA.
- The mustard. We add a light smear of Dijon mustard to the bread before adding the cheese. This adds another element and layer of flavor that just pushes this grilled cheese totally over the top. Like…way over.
- The cheese. Correction…cheese(s). Three to be exact. Oh yes…three. I used cheddar, muenster, and Asiago. But you are free to choose whatever cheeses your wonderful heart desires! The important thing is that you use a few different cheeses so you can get some varied flavors goin’ on in there.
Very lightly red pepper-y (word?) and thyme-y (word….?)
You must make it. Especially if you are a grilled cheese lover. This is the holy grail of grilled cheeses…
- 4 slices of GOOD QUALITY pre-sliced bread from the bakery section of your grocery store – we used sourdough
- 2 slices of muenster cheese
- 2 slices of Asiago cheese
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- *You can use any combination of cheeses you want! It does not have to be these three*
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch of thyme
- Melt your butter in a sauce pan with your garlic, red pepper flakes, and thyme
- Lightly simmer, careful not to burn the butter, while you prepare your sandwiches
- Lay your slices of bread out and spread ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard onto each slice
- On two of the slices of bread, add one slice of cheddar cheese, one slice of muenster cheese, and one slice of Asiago cheese
- Place the other slice of bread on top of the cheese. The sides with the Dijon mustard should be touching the cheese.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the butter onto the top and bottom of both sandwiches until all the butter is gone
- Heat a skillet over medium heat
- Cook your sandwiches until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted