decided I wanted the box to be long so it could fit on my mom’s large dining room table. I went to Home Depot and got a 10 foot 1×4 and had them cut 2 pieces to be 30″ long. Now, the pegboard top ended up being a weird size because I wanted it cut evenly between the holes on either side. So, because the employees at Home Depot are amazing and even though they probably aren’t supposed to cut wood to very specific sizes, this super sweet man also cut my pegboard for me, too. It ended up being 6 3/4″ wide by 30″ long. He also cut the end pieces of the box to be about 5 1/8″. The pieces weren’t exact (which he warned me they might not be) but we trimmed them at home.
To make the box, I started by using corner “L” brackets to connect the pieces of wood on the inside.
I wasn’t too concerned with the inside of the box since it won’t be seen; which means I got a little lazy after attaching the box with two “L” brackets and decided to just use wood glue on the other two corners. Hey, I would have just used wood glue for the whole thing but I don’t have any fancy clamps to hold them in their exact place!
After my wood glue had dried, I stained the outside of the box with a coat of Minwax English Chestnut per the instructions and let it dry. Again, I didn’t even worry about staining the inside. I did a light staining job and didn’t mind if it was uneven in some areas. I wanted my box to look old and warn.
I gave it a light sanding to distress it a bit, and then attached my pegboard on top. I used small screws in each corner hole and screwed them down into the box corners.
I wasn’t too worried about the screws being seen, because I figured once flowers were inside they’d cover them up. After all 4 screws were in, it was time to add some pretty flowers to finish it all off!
I had several bunches of faux peonies I had bought, so I used wire cutters to cut each stem off the bunch. I kept their leaves on to make it a little more full.
I started at the middle of my box in the middle two rows of holes. I placed the stems in each hole, moving out towards the ends of the box. I kept adding flowers where I thought it looked bare.
I went back in after the middle two rows were full and added more on the outside rows near the edge. Obviously the very edge row of holes won’t be used since it’s attached along the edges to the wood. I just made sure my outside row of flowers was pulled out a tad more to cover any of the pegboard that was visible.
You can also switch out the flowers for the season. It’d be adorable with little pumpkins and corn on picks mixed with fall leaves for autumn, or pretty berries and poinsettias for winter. So. Many. Options!