- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage or 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, rinsed and chopped fine
- 8 ounces penne (can also use ziti) or 2 1⁄2 cups penne (can also use ziti)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (5 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. (Be sure to use at least a 12-inch size skillet to hold all ingredients.) Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Sprinkle the sun-dried tomatoes and penne evenly over the sausage. Pour the broth and milk over the pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. (It may seem like a lot of spinach, but it will wilt considerably.) Stir in the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: You can use Italian pork sausage, but you may have to spoon some of the fat off before adding the pasta.