Pasta in fresh made white sauce is an easy recipe where pasta is cooked with veggies, in fresh white sauce and flavored with herbs. This white sauce pasta recipe is always an hit among children.
My kids love pasta so I often make it for brunch or dinner. I make pasta in many ways but this pasta in creamy white sauce is my family’s favorite. Here pasta is simmered in creamy white sauce and veggies and spiced with herbs and nutmeg. Sinfully delicious! To reduce the guilt I have used the pasta which is made with veggie puree :-D. You can also check my Indian style pasta and veg pasta soup recipe. They are also super yummy and quick.
To make this delicious white sauce pasta I have used veggies like carrots, mushrooms, capsicum broccoli but you can also use veggies like corns, zucchini, cauliflower or any other veggies of your choice. If you want to decrease the cooking time you can also use frozen veggies. Just thaw them before using.
You can make this white sauce pasta in big batches and freeze them in zip locks. Whenever you want to serve it just add some warm water or milk and heat it on stove or microwave it. Here I made white sauce with all-purpose flour or maida but you can also use whole wheat flour as a substitute.
Here are some tips and tricks to make perfect white sauce pasta:
- Do not add oil while boiling the pasta. Oil makes pasta slippery and sauce will not stick properly to the pasta.
- Reserve some pasta water for later use. White sauce tends to become thick as it cools down. You can add this reserved pasta water instead of plain water to keep the right consistency of sauce.
- While making white sauce make sure to stir it thoroughly while adding milk otherwise lumps may form and sauce will not taste good.
- I have added little nutmeg powder in sauce which gives nice zing to pasta. I really recommend to us it for better taste.
- You can use fresh or dry herbs in this recipe.
- Pasta or macaroni: 1 cup
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Chopped onion: ¼ cup
- Garlic cloves chopped: 2
- Chopped mushrooms: ¼ cup
- Chopped carrots and capsicum: ¼ cup
- Chopped broccoli: ¼ cup
- All-purpose flour or maida: 1 tbsp
- Boiled and Warm Milk: 1 cup
- Nutmeg powder: a pinch
- Fresh Cream (Whipped cream) : ¼ cream
- Fresh or dry basil and oregano
- Chilli Flakes: 1 tsp
- Water: 4 cups
- In boiling water add salt and pasta.
- Cook pasta according to instructions or till it is soft.
- Sieve and reserve ½ cup of pasta water for later use.
- Heat oil in pan and add garlic, saute and cook till raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Now add chopped onions, mushrooms, carrots, capsicum broccoli and little salt.
- Mix and cook veggies for 5 minutes or till they are little soft.
- Now reduce the heat to low and sprinkle all purpose flour over the veggies. Saute and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add little milk at a time and mix everything.
- Cook till you get nice thick sauce.
- Now add nutmeg powder, cream, oregano and mix everything well.
- If you think sauce is very thick add some water which we reserved earlier.
- Cook pasta in sauce for few more minutes.
- Garnish it with some chilly flakes. Pasta is ready to serve.
2. Reserve some pasta water for later use. White sauce become thick as it cools down. You can add this reserve pasta water instead of plain water to keep the right consistency of sauce.
3. While making white sauce make sure to stir it thoroughly while adding milk otherwise lumps may form and sauce will not taste good.
4. I have added little nutmeg powder in sauce which gives nice zing to pasta. I really recommend to us it for better taste.
5. You can use fresh or dry herbs in this recipe.