This vegetarian chili is perfect for even the biggest meat eater. Perfect for the Meatless Monday menu or any day of the week. It’s easy and cooks in about 40 minutes. No one will miss the beef, I promise!
You saute onions, garlic and spices. Throw in the beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth then let cook for 30 minutes.
It’s so quick and easy I forgot to take prep photos. Please forgive me. I don’t think you will need them to prepare this recipe anyway.
- 2 (15oz.) cans black beans (1 drained, 1 undrained)
- 1 (15oz) can of kidney beans (drained)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Drain and rinse 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans. (Do not drain third can.)
- Saute onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and saute another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, pepper and salt; saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, drained and undrained beans, and 2 cups vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chili with desired toppings.